Please read the General Policies before signing up to audition.
General policies + guidelines
- 1. Audition eligibility
All IU students, with any level of experience, are invited to audition for any theatre productions. A headshot and resume are preferred but not required. If interested students do not have a prepared monologue, audition material will be made available to read for the audition. Dance productions are available to dance majors only, except with permission from Contemporary Dance faculty.
- 2. Programming + casting
The department’s programming committee is comprised of faculty and staff from all areas, as well as 2-4 student representatives. When selecting the season, the department is committed to honoring the intentions of the playwright in matters of casting, and to encouraging diverse, identity-conscious casting practices whenever possible.
- 3. Audition process expectations
Everyone participating in the audition process will be granted:
- Freedom from harassment as outlined in IU’s campus-wide policy
- Content advisories and appropriate project breakdowns, including descriptions of the characters being cast
- Appropriate choreographer present to craft dance, moments of violence, or intimacy if required in the audition
- Adequate prep/rehearsal time for choreography if required for the audition
- Option to take oneself out of consideration for specific roles prior to completion of casting
- 4. Photos + video
No photos or videos will be taken without prior approval of the department chair and 24-hour advance notice to the participants. Any photos or videos will be destroyed immediately following the completion of casting. Actors will also be given advance notice if members of the creative team are attending auditions via video call applications (ie: Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, etc.).
- 5. Union affiliation
Members of a performing union (AEA, SAG-AFTRA, AGMA, etc) must declare their union affiliation at first audition.
- 6. Pre-casting + audition invitations
Students pursuing an M.F.A. in acting may be precast in roles via an internal area process overseen by the Head of Acting/Directing.
Students pursuing other degrees are not allowed to be precast. Directors may extend audition invitations to particular performers, however no guarantees of casting may be extended or suggested to non-M.F.A. actors prior to the casting meeting.
- 7. Reporting violations
The appropriate sequence to report an incident of a violation of these policies:
- Head of Acting and Directing Area, Musical Theatre Area and/or Contemporary Dance Area
- Chair of Department
- Associate Dean for Arts & Humanities
Audition sign-up information
You must sign up for auditions online, following the instructions for each audition notice. Once the lists fill up, the online signup will close, with instructions provided for anyone who missed the signup. If you have questions, please click on the signup links for contact information.