You must complete an application in order to audition for the IU Contemporary Dance Program. Visit Application for instructions. Note that all application materials for the Dance major must be received at least two weeks prior to the audition date.
What to expect during your audition
If you have been granted an audition with the IU Contemporary Dance Program—congratulations! Be sure to follow the instructions below to assist in preparation for an excellent audition.
- If you have been granted an audition you will receive an email confirming receipt of your application and your audition date.
- You should print and bring a copy of your confirmation email to the audition. If you have trouble printing, please request that a paper copy be printed for you.
- Report to room PH 161 between 9am – 10am for check-in on the date of your audition. A campus map will accompany your confirmation letter.
- You will have the opportunity to observe a contemporary dance technique class from 10:00am-11:30am in PH 161.
- There will be a parent’s meeting at 10:15 in the Studio Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center. Parents may accompany their student to PH 161; dance faculty will then escort parents to the theatre building.
- The audition will begin promptly at 11:30am with a two-hour technique class. The class will consist of a 45-minute ballet barre, followed by practice in improvisation and an hour of contemporary dance technique.
- Light snacks will be served from 1:30pm – 2:15pm. You will have a chance at this time to chat with current dance majors.
- You should then be prepared to show a 1-minute solo in the modern/contemporary dance genre. You may choreograph your own solo, or work prior to the audition with a dance professional.
- A short concluding meeting will follow the audition.
- You may then elect to view repertory rehearsals from 3:30pm-6:30pm. Faculty and current dance majors will be available to answer questions at this time, giving you an informal tour.
- Letters indicating audition results will be sent approximately two weeks following the audition.
Direct any audition questions to Scott Hogshed, B.F.A. Liaison email@example.com or call 812-856-4024.
The phone line is open Tuesday through Friday from 1:30-5:00pm Eastern time. To receive a return call, leave a voicemail during off hours or if there is no answer.
Where to stay during your audition
Visit Bloomington provides information about lodging during your audition or other visits to campus.