You must complete an application in order to audition for the IU Contemporary Dance Program. Visit Application for instructions. Note that all application materials for the Dance major must be received at least two weeks prior to the audition date.
What to expect during your audition
The following is a description of our audition day. For more information about our auditions please see our Accept'd page.
If you have been granted an audition with the IU Contemporary Dance Program—congratulations! Be sure to follow the instructions below to assist in preparation for an excellent audition.
- If you have been granted an audition, you will receive notification via Accept'd or direct email confirming receipt of your application and your audition date.
- Report to the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Lobby between 8:30am – 9am for check-in on the date of your audition. A campus map will accompany your confirmation letter.
- There will be a parent/student meeting at 9:00am in the Studio Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center, followed by a parent/current student Q&A, while auditionees observe class.
- You will have the opportunity to observe a contemporary dance technique class from 10:45am-11:30am in PH 161.
- The audition will begin promptly at 11:45am with a two-hour technique class. The class will consist of a 45-minute ballet barre, followed by practice in improvisation and an hour of contemporary dance technique.
- Light lunch will be served from 1:45pm – 2:30pm. You will have a chance at this time to chat with current dance majors.
- You should then be prepared to show a 1-minute solo in the modern/contemporary dance genre. You may choreograph your own solo, or work prior to the audition with a dance professional.
- You may then elect to view repertory rehearsals from 3:30pm-6:30pm. Faculty and current dance majors will be available to answer questions at this time.
- Letters indicating audition results will be sent approximately two weeks following the audition.
Direct any audition questions to Scott Hogsed, B.F.A. Liaison email@example.com or call 812-856-4024.
Where to stay during your audition
Visit Bloomington provides information about lodging during your audition or other visits to campus.